I’m an eighteen-year-old senior at Liberty High School, and play/sing regularly in my church worship band. I am also a pianist at Swedish Hospital, teach beginning piano, and occasionally accompany soloists and the choir at my school. I currently study piano under Dr. William Chapman Nyaho, and have Mrs. Wood as a choir teacher. Both teachers have helped me to achieve many of the folllowing honors:
- 2nd Alternate Winner, 2017 WNMTA South King County Chapter Honors Competition
- Vocal Duet Winner and State Qualifier, 2017 Eastshore Region's Solo & Ensemble Contest
- Superior (1+) rating for piano solos at the 2017 Eastshore Region's Solo & Ensemble Contest
- Pianist/Vocalist for the 2016 Western Washington Fair, Education Stage
- Interlochen Summer Arts Camp (Piano) 2016 Merit Scholarship, Interlochen, MI
- First Place Winner as a member of The Truman Doctrine (pianist, vocalist), 2016 Battle of the Bands, Liberty High
- Honorable Mention, 2016 WNMTA South King County Chapter Honors Competition
- University of the Pacific Merit Scholarship, Senior Piano Camp 2015, Stockton, CA
- 4th place ranked Honorable Mention in both the 2015 and 2014 WNMTA South King County Chapter Honors Competition
- Superior Rating (piano solo) and accompanist in the 2015 Eastshore Region's Solo & Ensemble Contest
- IKEA Renton River Days Pianist/Songwriter during the Annual Art Show (2015, and 2014) and "Meet the Artist" booth (2013)
- Guest pianist for The Renton Foundation's Circle of Giving (2014)
- Allied Arts of Renton Music Scholarship recipient (2013)
- The Renton Municipal Arts Commission and Allied Arts of Renton Fall Arts Equinox (2013)
I also enjoy musical theater because I get to do three things I love in one production: act, sing and dance! I love the energy that a live audience can bring to a venue, and how the lighting, effects and costumes enhance the production. I'm thrilled to be a part of my school’s award-winning Drama Department, elite choirs (The Liberty Singers and Jazz Choir) and Beat Editor of The Patriot Press school newspaper.
How I Started:
After I won the 2010 National Roland Piano Festival in my division, a producer said he would record a CD for me if I ever wanted to go to his studio. Two years later, I needed to raise funds for my upcoming ASCI National Spelling Bee trip, so I took him up on his offer. My CD Thirteen (my age at the time) was launched, and I began offering it at concerts and online. Before long, my Bee trip was completely paid for!
Next, I started playing piano at churches and retirement communities to promote my music, raising over half of my funds for my 8th grade D.C. trip. My Jr. High music teacher (Mrs. Turner) gave me several opportunities to play special music at fundraisers and concerts (once for a record audience of about 1,200). As a member of her weekly chapel band, I not only grew as a songwriter, musician and vocalist, but was also given opportunities to practice valuable leadership and team-building skills.
During my 8 years at Prosser Music Academy as a student of Jee Wong, I participated in local and regional events such as the Kent Holiday Craft Bazaar, The Puyallup Fair, played at shopping malls, and received awards in various contests (including the Roland Fest Regionals and National Finals).
I'm continuing to develop my skills as a pianist and songwriter, and am waiting to hear back from various universities after auditioning for Music Therapy programs. I'd especially like to help children heal through music in my future career, and am currently learning guitar.
Bookings and Lessons:
I'd love to provide instrumental piano music for your next event! Please contact my "momager" (Brenda Fysh) at: email@example.com for more info.
I also teach beginning piano to children ages 6-12. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Memberships and Certificates:
- ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers)
- International Thespian Society, Troupe #3082
- Dual Credit in Child Development and Health, transcribed through Bellevue College
- Scholar Athlete Award and Most Improved, 2015 LIberty Swim and Dive Team
This quote from the ACSI V.P. of Student Activities and Membership inspired me to appreciate the opportunities I’ve been given:
“The Decisions I Make, Determines the Direction I Take, and the Destiny I Create”.